St. Eloi is not merely a typical bayou parish; its roots are grounded in the extraordinary determination and courage of a faith-filled community whose spirit endures to this day. Born from gratitude and hope, the church came into existence thanks to Marie Seraphine Thibodaux, who—just months before her passing in 1877—donated land to the Archdiocese of Louisiana, on which a church and cemetery had already been built two years earlier. This endowment was given in thanksgiving for the safe return of her four sons who fought in the Civil War. Named after St. Eloi, patron saint of her late husband, Michel Eloi Theriot, the church stood as a beacon of resilience and unity.
Before its walls rose, local families gathered for Mass in the St. Eloi plantation store. Longing for a sacred space of their own, the community’s hands built the church, venturing into swamps to harvest cypress and craft its frame, united by faith and perseverance. Despite the rain streaming through the unsealed roof during the inaugural Mass and dedication—with Archbishop Napoleon J. Perché seeking refuge under an umbrella—the steadfast faith of St. Eloi’s congregation remained evident, powerfully reflecting the enduring spirit of its people, which still shines forth today.
The St. Eloi Catholic Church community shines brightly as a beacon of enduring spirit and unity. It beautifully illustrates how faith can guide a community through challenges, leading to new beginnings and stronger bonds. The inspiring story of St. Eloi is a celebration of resilience, hope, and the incredible strength found in togetherness—a legacy that continues to uplift and motivate everyone who calls this bayou parish home.
St. Eloi’s story begins with Marie Seraphine Thibodaux, who—just months before her passing in 1877—gifted land to the archdiocese in thanksgiving for her four sons’ safe return from the Civil War. On this sacred ground, a church and cemetery already stood, lovingly built two years prior by the hands of local families, and named for St. Eloi, the patron saint of her late husband, Michel Eloi Theriot, who founded the community that bears his name.
1874-75: St. Eloi church built by men, boys, and some freed slaves from the community before a priest was assigned. Orelien Thibodaux, Counselor for St. Eloi, and other notable men of the community, wrote a letter to Most Reverend Napoléon-Joseph Perché, Archbishop of New Orleans on March 28, 1874, requesting that he send a priest to the serve the new church and its people.
1875: Reverend Father Jean Geoffroy, St. Eloi’s first pastor, was sent by Archbishop Perché to serve the community. First baptism celebrated on April 7, 1875—little Joseph Prospère Chauvin.
1877: Marie Seraphine Thibodaux Theriot donated funds to have a bell cast for St. Eloi. Fr. Geoffroy christened the bell St. E. Seraphine on September 9, 1877. Marie Seraphine Thibodaux Theriot, who—just months before her passing in 1877—gifted land to the Archdiocese of Louisiana in thanksgiving for her four sons’ safe return from the Civil War. (On this sacred ground a church and cemetery already stood, lovingly built two years prior by the hands of local families, and named for St. Eloi, the patron saint of her late husband, Michel Eloi Theriot, who founded the community that bears his name.)
1891: Earliest funeral service on record was for Julia Bergeron; buried in Bayou Black. First official burial in St. Eloi Cemetery was Eulalie Bourg Autément, who passed away at just 33 years old.
1884: A fire destroyed the rectory, erasing all the early parish records, and claimed the life of the young French priest, Fr. Joseph Coustarot on January 13, 1884.
1913-16: Fr. Fred Bosch created a Calvary scene in the cemetery, painted buildings, and built fences around both the graveyard and churchyard. Fierce storm hit the area on September 19, 1915, damaging St. Eloi Church.
1922: Archbishop John William Shaw, D.D., officially declared St. Eloi in Bayou DuLarge a parish on February 16, 1922. Its boundaries stretched impressively—from Mulberry plantation to the Gulf (north to south), and from Grand Caillou to the Atchafalaya River (east to west)
1924: Fr. Joseph J. Boudreaux established the Immaculate Conception Chapel at the Creppelle Settlement on lower Bayou DuLarge.
1926: Area hit by a massive hurricane, destroying half of St. Eloi’s roof & toppling the Immaculate Conception Chapel.
1963-65: The nearly century-old St. Eloi church was moved to the back of the property in preparation for the building of a new one. (Fr. Cecil Rodrigue was pastor at the time.)
1963-69: Fr. Carmel Grech grew the St. Eloi church building fund from $19,000 to $114,000.
1971: The last Mass in the old church was said on November 13, 1971.
1972: The new St. Eloi church was dedicated by Archbishop Phillip Hannan on January 9, 1972. Over 400 people attended.
2005: Hurricane Rita devastated the community with its flood waters and damaging winds, including the church. Mass was celebrated in the Knights of Columbus home from October 2005 to April 2006 while the church was being repaired.
2020: Covid-19 pandemic closed church doors, but Fr. Dean Danos live-streamed Mass and the Divine Mercy Chaplet, ensuring that hope and faith remained strong in uncertain times.
2021: Hurricane Ida decimated most of the St. Eloi community, including the church and community center. From 2021to 2026, Mass was celebrated first under a tent, then in the gym, and last in the Knights of Columbus Hall.
2021: The community center was demolished. Under the leadership of Fr. Antonio Farrugia and members of the building committee, repairs began on the church.
2026: Weekend of March 21 & 22, 2026-- final Masses celebrated at the Knights of Columbus home. March 28, 2026-- Dedication of the newly repaired St. Eloi Catholic Church celebrated by Bishop Simon Peter Engurait
or as he's more formally known, St. Eligius, the Bishop of Noyon, whose feast day is on December 1st. Born around 588 in a small town north of Limoges, France, Eloi was of Roman-Gaulish descent. Early on, his parents saw his knack for creativity and dedication, so they apprenticed him to a goldsmith named Abbo, where his talents truly shone. Known for his sincerity and honesty, Eloi's skills caught the attention of King Clotaire II after he crafted two stunning chairs from materials meant for just one. His integrity and craftsmanship earned him a place in the royal court as the master of the mint. Despite his high status, Eloi stayed humble, often giving to the poor and caring for society's outcasts. Later, he became the Bishop of Noyon, where he preached with warmth and simplicity, touching many hearts. Eloi passed away on December 1, 659, leaving behind a legacy of kindness and faith. Today, he's celebrated as the patron saint of goldsmiths, blacksmiths, and metal workers.
+ Fr. Jean Geoffroy....................................................1875-1882 ................. First Pastor
+ Fr. Joseph Coustarot ........................................... 1882-1884 ................ Second Pastor
+ Fr. J. A. Poyet .......................................................... 1884-1890 ................ Visiting Priest
+ Fr. J. M. Laval .......................................................... 1884-1890 ................. Visiting Priest
+ Fr. J. F. Raymond ................................................... 1890-1893 ................. Third Pastor
+ Fr. P. M. Bédel ........................................................ 1893-1894 ................. Fourth Pastor
+ Fr. Leon Leduc ........................................................ 1894-1897 ................. Fifth Pastor
+ Fr. Joseph Drolet .................................................. 1897-1898 ................. Sixth Pastor
+ Fr. L. H. L’Anglais ................................................... 1899-1905 ................ Seventh Pastor
+ Fr. J. Barbe .............................................................. 1905-1913 ................ Eighth Pastor
+ Fr. Fred W. Bosch ................................................. 1913-1916 ................. Ninth Pastor
+ Fr. George Andree ............................................... 1916-1920 ................. Tenth Pastor
+ Fr. Joseph J. Boudreaux ..................................... 1920-1927 ................. Eleventh Pastor
+ Fr. Felix Miller ........................................................ 1927-1938 ................. Twelfth Pastor
+ Fr. L. Abel Caillouet ............................................. 1938-1947 ................. Thirteenth Pastor
+ Fr. John Weber ..................................................... 1945 ............................... Assistant Pastor
+ Fr. Jerome Roppola ............................................. 1942-1949 .................. Assistant Pastor
+ Fr. Arthur Brue ..................................................... 1947-1949 ................... Fourteenth Pastor
+ Fr. Preston J. Marquette ................................... 1949-1954 ................... Fifteenth Pastor
+ Fr. Roland Boudreaux ........................................ 1950-1952 ................... Acting Administrator
+ Fr. George Landry ................................................1950-1951 ................... Assistant Pastor
+ Fr. Francis Amedee ............................................. 1951 ............................... Assistant Pastor
+ Fr. H. C. Paul Daigle ............................................ 1952 ............................... Assistant Pastor
+ Fr. Fredrick J. Pooley .......................................... 1954-1958 ................... Sixteenth Pastor
+ Fr. J. Carter Richaud ........................................... 1958-1963 ................... Seventeenth Pastor
+ Fr. Cecil B. Rodrigue ........................................... 1963-1965 ................... Eighteenth Pastor
+ Fr. William Grangell ............................................ 1965 ............................... Temporary Administrator
+ Fr. Carmel Grech .................................................. 1966-1969 .................. Nineteenth Pastor
+ Fr. Francis J. Legendre ........................................ 1969-1974 .................. Twentieth Pastor
+ Fr. Louis N. Chaisson ........................................... 1974-1982 .................. Twenty-first Pastor
+ Fr. Roch Naquin ..................................................... 1982-1988 .................. Twenty-second Pastor
+ Fr. Scott J. Dugas .................................................. 1988-1992 ................... Twenty-third Pastor
+ Fr. Alfredo Loresco .............................................. 1992-1995 ................... Twenty-fourth Pastor
+ Fr. Carl Collins ........................................................1995-1999 .................. Twenty-fifth Pastor
+ Fr. Jerome (Jerry) Weber .................................. 1999-2001 .................. Twenty-sixth Pastor
+ Fr. Joseph (Joey) Pilola ....................................... 1999-2004 .................. Associate Pastor
+ Fr. Etienne Leblanc ............................................... 2001-2004 ................. Twenty-seventh Pastor
+ Fr. Joseph (Joey) Pilola ....................................... 2004-2007 ................. Twenty-eighth Pastor
+ Fr. Jerome Escasa ................................................. 2007-2009 ................. Twenty-ninth Pastor
+ Fr. Florentino “Amang” Santiago .................... 2009-2016 ................. Thirtieth Pastor
+ Fr. Dean Danos ...................................................... 2016-2022 ................ Thirty-first Pastor
+ Fr. Antonio Farrugia, PFSGM .......................... 2022-present ............ Thirty-second Pastor
+ Fr. Nathaniel Gadalia, PFSGM ........................ 2022-present ............ Parochial Vicar
+ Fr. Fr. Picchignito Ferreira, PFSGM .............. 2022-present ............ Parochial Vicar